Monday, March 26, 2012

DIY Painting Furniture

My last major project has taken me quite a few days. I got a sweet little dresser for my future baby, and I needed to update the color!

First step: Sand down dresser, take off knobs, and sand some more.
Second step: I didn't use primer, since there was already paint on it- I had a dark black paint anyways, so I was sure it'd cover-and it did! I just used a roller brush and it was so simple.
Third: I ordered a stencil online and used a roller brush on it as well. I recommend using tape to hold it down, or spray adhesive. I didn't want to spend extra money on that, so I had to free hand any mistakes I made. Also watch a stenciling tutorial-it helps. Don't leave the stencil on too long after you paint it. The faster you rip it off the better it looks ( in my case anyways)
Fourth: got the perfect knobs at Home Depot, 98 cents. SCORE.

Anyways, I love the way it turned out. So cute. Even the hubby likes it.

Next, the changing table! Pretty much same basic steps as the dresser. I had to paint it with a regular paint brush because of all the detail, but I love it.


TADA! That's it folks! I know it won't be all put together as a cute little nursery for the baby for a couple months until she needs her nice crib-so until then, this is it!

4 comments:

  1. looks great so far!! {found your post through talent tuesday}

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you find the paint sticking to the changing table? I have the same one and am debating whether or not to paint it and whether or not to sand first....
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry I haven't been on my blog in ages! I didn't sand it before, and the paint seems to be staying on just fine!

    ReplyDelete